It’s been around 18 months since P8 v5.1 was released, back in 2011, but the latest version is now imminent.
As you’d expect for software that has been so long in the pipeline, there are some pretty fundamental changes. The Content Engine and Process Engine are now combined into the same JVM, and badged as the “Content Platform”. Apparently the two engines will still operate separately and independently, but will co-exist in a single EAR file.
Here is a quick summary of what we can expect:
- FileNet BPM to be renamed IBM Case Foundation – more details here
- A unified installation procedure – PE will be deployed using the Config manager.
- Content Navigator will be included
- The browser-based Admin tool ACCE will be expanded to replace FEM and PTM
- Component Manager will now run in J2EE server
- Case Analytics is also moved to the J2EE server
- New Social Content Management functionality (API?) will be introduced
- BPF and ECM Widgets to be withdrawn
- Removal of legacy CSE Search
- Bulk move of content from CFS to P8
- Object stores and Process Engine regions can share the same DB (as with ICM)
For more detail, take a look at these announcement articles:
The P8 Infocenter is also now available.